My adventures as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Peace Corps? More Like BEACH Corps


The Pacific Islands Peace Corps program is sometimes dismissed as the “Beach Corps” by other Peace Corps regions. So, despite the contents of this post, I want to assure everyone that I will NOT be living the next two years as a beach bum on the US taxpayer’s dollar. 

Since Pohnpei doesn’t have any beaches (the shoreline is covered with mangrove swamps), people sometimes travel out to the nearby “picnic islands” within the reef. Last weekend my host family went to Nalup for the weekend to celebrate a cousin’s birthday. 

We traveled out on a tiny speedboat loaded with coolers and picnic supplies (I was kind of shocked that the boat didn’t sink under all the weight) to the island “resort.” I use the term resort loosely because this is where we spent the night:


We pretty much spent the entire weekend swimming – it was fantastic! Some photos of the gorgeous island:







The most exciting part of the trip was the discovery of a beached shark. Craziness! After the kids played with the corpse another family apparently took the shark to cook it.


On an unrelated note, there are two songs that I’ve heard nonstop on the radio here. The first is “Payphone,” by Maroon 5. This makes sense, since it’s a new song and is probably topping the charts back in the states too. But the other song has me baffled – it’s “As Long As You Love Me,” by either the Backstreet Boys or N’SYNC (can’t remember for the life of me which group sang which songs). So I get a little 90s flashback daily now!

No comments:

Post a Comment