My adventures as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Friday, August 31, 2012

I Sohte Wehwehki

I Sohte Wehwehki means “I don’t understand” in Pohnpeian, and I say it constantly here! My host family is remarkably patient with me, but there’s pretty much just a constant state of confusion in all our interactions. Lots of confused smiling and nodding. This language is going to be an uphill battle for me.

So, where to start? My life has changed dramatically in the last two weeks. I’m living in a rural village that seems worlds away from Kolonia’s bustling “city” life. Since Peace Corps volunteers always need to brag about the lack of amenities, let’s get that out of the way. The actual house only consists of two bedrooms – everything else is outside. I was told before I got here that my family had a “local stove” instead of an oven, and it turns out that “local stove” means “campfire.” I have electricity (most of the time), but no running water. I shower outside with a bucket wearing a “shower skirt.” My toilet is a water seal toilet, which is basically a concrete hole in the ground. It’s all very epic.

My home for the next two years
My new host family is huge! My host mom (nohno) is an elderly woman who is basically the matriarch of this huge extended family. She has seven kids that live on our family compound or nearby (and too many grandkids to count!). I’m having a really difficult time remembering all the names.

Family swimming with Roseleen, Clayton,
and Tracy (Roseleen is also one of my students!)
Two of my host nieces - Dene (6) and Tol (3)
Several of my family members are fishers, so I get to eat lots of fresh fish everyday! We also have lots of coconut trees, so I get to drink coconut water whenever I want!

I’ve been trying to convince them to let me help out with chores, which is a challenge. I’ve been given small tasks like raking or washing dishes, but a few days ago I finally got to help cook dinner. It was an experience, to say the least, since cooking involves so many more tasks here than in the states. I think my family discovered that the only thing funnier than watching me try to speak Pohnpeian is watching me try to chop firewood. It all started with two people showing me how, and 20 minutes later I had the entire extended family gathered around and absolutely dying of laughter. The experience reminded me of the most important advice I was told about the Peace Corps – always laugh at yourself.

I had a really fun experience with my first Peace Corps illness! (Part of the experience, right?) I won’t go into all the disgusting details, but let’s just say I learned the Pohnpeian words for lots of unpleasant bodily functions.

I’ve been at my school for two weeks now. I’ve just been observing so far, but next week I start co-teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade language arts. The classes are huge – almost 40 students! The kids are hilarious – they love Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, and Selena Gomez (like, obsession level). Also, during lunch kids will voluntarily sweep the classroom floor – can you imagine that happening in the United States? Also, we’re all BAREFOOT in the classroom!

Several people asked me about donations they could make to the school and/or my classroom. If you wanted to help out, here’s a list of things that would be much appreciated.

1.      Magazines! The kids love reading/looking at the pictures in National Geographic, People, and Entertainment, but any magazines with lots of pictures would be very appreciated. (They don’t need to be recent!)
2.      Books! Low elementary reading level, for example, Goosebumps, The Babysitters Club, any Newberry Award book. Or any other books that you think the students would enjoy. Picture books for the lower grades would also be great!
3.      Madlibs, word searches, etc.
4.      Markers, colored pencils, construction paper, etc.

Oh, and I’m now officially a PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER!!! No more of that “trainee” nonsense.

The M78 Pohnpei team shortly after becoming volunteers!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like life is fun?! Need toilet paper? Hope the year goes well. You will be a fantastic teacher. Remember give them the confidence to make mistakes and the love of learning. You have both of these are a great role model to show them. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete