My adventures as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

The school year draws to a close...

School's out for summer! (Thank god.) Not that I don't love my students, but I think I would have gone crazy if the school year had lasted much longer. I have a nice month off before we start summer school, so I'm enjoying the time to recharge.

All in all, it was a pretty successful year. I learned a lot! I learned that I am horrible at classroom management (but I definitely improved throughout the year!). I learned that 6th graders love to play hangman. I learned that you sweat a lot in a muumuu in a hot classroom. I learned that 8th graders can range from 13 years old to 19 years old. I learned that if a student takes out a knife during class, it just means they're going to sharpen their pencil (clearly an assumption that wouldn't apply in the American classroom...)

I took photos of my classes on the last day of school. (Try to spot the men wai!)

6th Grade Group A
6th Grade Group B
7th Grade (Can you tell which ones are the trouble makers?
8th Grade Group A
8th Grade Group B

We celebrated 8th grade graduation at the end of May. Many students don't complete high school, so an elementary school "diploma" is a pretty big deal here. We celebrated, in typical Pohnpeian fashion,
 with lots of food, mwarmwars/leis, and singing.


Buried under their mwarmwars


Our valedictorian wrote her own speech - in English! I was
so proud :)

No comments:

Post a Comment