My adventures as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Federated States of Micronesia.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Pohnpeian Names

Names here in Pohnpei are an eclectic representation of the various foreign influences on the island. From the Spanish colonization, there are lots of Spanish last names (my host family in Kolonia had the last name Panuelo San Vincente, and some of my extended family here has the last name Miguel). Japanese presence during World War II also has continued influence on names (from my observations, not as much as Spanish influence). And, of course, as a territory of the United States after World War II and a country tied economically and politically to the United States, American names are everywhere.

But Pohnpeians have managed to make so many names completely unique. Earlier in the year I gave my 6th  graders had an assignment to find out how they got their name (mostly because I was curious). They were so fascinating that I kept all of them instead of handing them back (I'm a greedy teacher!). Here are some samples.

Many of the names reflect the culture’s focus on family…

Oryan: "My father’s name is Bryan and his uncle’s name is Oliver. So my parents just took out the B from Bryan and the O from Oliver’s first letter so it becomes Oryan."

Daillia: "My brother’s name is Detrick my sister’s name is Sylvia. So it becomes Daillia."

Sherraine: "Erraine is my grandma’s name and She means a girl so we make is Sherraine."

Kapwry: "We take the first part of names Kasilda, Pwilikinslo, Rebeca, and Yunid."

Prayden: "When I was baby I almost died so my mom prayed for me that is why my name is Prayden."

JB: "I was born in the jungle behind our house no in Pohnpei State Hospital. Then my parents gave me J.B. as my name so J.B. stand for Jungle Boy."

There is also a biblical element to some of the names…

Zion: "They just name me after the city of Babylon. They want me to be holy and they take the name from the bible."

When I saw that one of my students was named Jericho, I assumed it was another biblically-inspired name. Nope! Movies are even more prominent in the naming process…

Jericho: "My mom watch a movie and the man named Jericho. The man was handsome so my mom name me Jericho."

Jimmy Jack: "My mother gave my name immy Jack because my father name Jim. Then they saw the movie of Titanic. Jack was the lover guy. Jim my father and Titanic Jack. That’s me Jimmy Jack!"

And then there’s Simion’s explanation…

Simion: "My parents name me Simion because they just run out of names."

Yup, that’s what happens when you’re kid number 7!

1 comment:

  1. Mia, I love reading your posts about PC life and the culture of Micronesia. I have a client here in Gresham who is from Chuuk, and her name is "Cinderella". Someone watched too many Disney movies!

    ReplyDelete